Saturday 30 January 2010

Three Things I Hate About Pre-Owned Games

2010-01-30 23-50-44.041

  1. Games owned by Smokers.

Once in a blue moon, I’ll buy a game from somewhere like Entertainment Exchange, usually a PC RTS like the Settlers, for around £2, and it will stink of smoke. I hate smoking, I think it’s disgusting, and when I’m holding something that smells like it’s been used as an ashtray since it' came out four years ago… it’s never good. This also covers games that are sticky. Yes, sticky. I bought a copy of Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga and it’s cover felt like it had been smeared in Jam. Of course, I didn’t realise this until I’d placed my brand new copy of inFamous on top if it. Which was just… marvellous.

2. Games in awful conditions.

The image above, is my copy of Crackdown. Have you seen the state of that back cover? My copy of Mass Effect is the same. It has no plastic on the top of it as well, which means it can’t close and…. well it has a hole in the top of it. The worst thing about Crackdown though, is that I was going to buy a copy for a fiver from Gamestation at first, but I was told I needed I.D. Crackdown is a 15. I was 16 at the time. I was denied it. So I walked over to Grainger, where I had to buy THAT copy, for £12! I had to pay a clear seven pound more for a copy in worse condition. Bloody retailers.

3. Games with all the important stuff missing.

When I first bought my Xbox, I picked up a few key games to go with it. Halo 3, Resident Evil 5 and Gears of War 2. Now, I bought Gears of War 2 mainly for the online play as I had already completed it. However, I soon found out that most of my friends who played it online were rather fond of the original maps that were packaged free within pretty much all copies of Gears of War 2. Well I should rephrase that. All new copies. I had a pre-owned one. What really annoyed me, was that someone out there had an Xbox with the extra maps just sitting on his hard drive, while I had the bloody game.

No comments:

Post a Comment