Tuesday 6 January 2009

nRevolution

I’m a bit of a magazine nerd. I’ve been collecting them since I picked up a copy of CUBE in 2003 and since then, I’ve been addicted to the British Videogame Journalism industry, and would you believe it, It’s what I aspire to do when I’m older. Because you get to play games… Then write about them… Then get paid.

 

So anyway, I collected CUBE until the GameCube became obsolete (and it stopped being published) and moved onto ONM. Official Nintendo Magazine just so happened to be a fantastic magazine at launch. It was pretty, fun to read, and had some fantastic writers (Mainly a young man named Chandra, from CUBE fame). It was this magazine that forced me to join it’s forum, the first forum I ever joined. It was here I made some great friends, and eventually became hooked into the online forum world.

 

However one day, I came across another forum, and this one was called nRevolution. From here on in, it becomes something of a love story. I left ONM and had a filthy affair with nRev. It was here that I became a central part of the community, and actually made proper friends. I actually have emotional memories from that place. Sad? Perhaps, but I will always remember that place as not just a resource for Nintendo news, but also a fantastically funny, supportive and co-operative forum. Bravo.

Then, it all went to Shit, and I started nFort. At the time I thought it was because nRev had become a horrible place, and that I had become sick. But then, yesterday, I heard from a member of nFort that the last issue of the magazine was published in December. That was that. It was over.

 

So, Nintendo. I’m looking at you. It was never nRevolution’s fault that it slipped up from around issue 6. It was yours. You see me? You see all those dedicated members of that forum? You see those writers, who dedicated themselves to reporting to no doubt thousands of others? Well they’re what's called the hardcore market, and I don’t know whether you’ve realised this but you’ve forgotten about us. Yea, we were the ones who kept you afloat during the Gamecube years, and now look at you. Talk about pissing on the little man.

 

It’s only a matter of time, before a months worth of Wii reviews can be fitted onto a single A4 sheet of paper. I’m not saying there’s going to be a lack of games, it’s just that Wii games are becoming so shallow you could review them yourself just by looking at the cover art.

1 comment:

  1. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

    That's the equivilant of going to university, getting new parents and spending all your time with them and then occasionally running back to your biological parents cus they can give you a couple of billion, kazillion yen for Super Smash Bros (which didn't deserve it)

    It sickens me.




    And also, that's what I want to do as well. Be a writer for a gaming magazine. That would be UBER!

    ReplyDelete