Tuesday 28 July 2009

Garry's Mod

I first experienced a little mod that was referred to as "Garry's Mod" around two years ago when it was still in version 9, and quite frankly I fell in love. A quirky sandbox game that allowed you to spawn Zombies, tie up Kleiner with balloons and complete the whole of Half life 2 using watermelons? Yes please. So, as you can no doubt imagine, by the time that Garry's Mod 10 arrived I was truly addicted and the second it appeared I bought it.

Now as most of you have probably already discovered, I'm not exactly a brilliant gamer. I died on the last boss of Gears of War 2, could never get past the first mission on Fallout 3 and I just don't physically know how to play Civilisation properly and unfortunately, I've discovered that I don't even scrape the surface on Garry's Mod.

See, I like spawning ragdolls. Then I like making them do funny things. It keeps me amused for hours on end, and to a point where I used to frequently make Youtube films (until my Garry's Mod aslpoded). But then, while browsing nFortress, I realised that.... well there's so much more that I'd never even considered beyond making Mario and Masterchief bum each other. You can make spaceships that fly and have working teleporters, giant battle mechs with working guns and even entire towers made out crates. Then you have the additional game modes like Gmod Tower which are just... I mean watch that video. It's just incredible, the things you can do with this... hell you know what? I'm going to call it a tool, because let's face it, it is. A very very powerful one as well.

Hats off to you Mr. Newman, your mod is something to be marvelled at.




2 comments:

  1. Join the server and come play with me.

    I'll show you how to make a teleporter that takes you to any place on the map you chose, and all you have to do to make it go is walk on a certain place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See? SEE WHAT KIND OF MAGIC THIS THING CREATES?

    ReplyDelete